The Broad Institute today announced that it will be receiving $650 million from philanthropist Ted Stanley with the goal to study psychiatric disorders and bring new treatments. The announcement coincided with a publication Nature on schizophrenia genome-wide association study with huge sample sizes 36,989 cases and 113,075 controls, which identified 108 genetic loci associated with schizophrenia.
- Biological insights from 108 schizophrenia-associated genetic loci, Schizophrenia Working Group of the Psychiatric Genomics Consortium
Here is the link round up of the stories
- Broad Institute’s Press Release: $650 million commitment to Stanley Center at Broad Institute aims to galvanize mental illness research
- NY Times: Spark for a Stagnant Search. A $650 Million Donation for Psychiatric Research
- Nature News: Gene-hunt gain for mental health
- Broad Institute receives $650 million mental research gift
- Forbes News: How A Giant Act Of Philanthropy May Kickstart Psychiatry